2.11.2007

To Spend or NOT to Spend!?

It is a question I am sure everyone has asked themselves at one point, or another, Should I buy this, or should I save my money for more important things, like rent or my cell phone bill? Unfortunately, if you live in New York City, it is very easy to become tempted by so many things and everything seems to involve taking your $$$$. Whether it's for drinks with friends, lunch with your roommate, a new metrocard, the latest gadget, or those killer boots you just saw in the window at Barney's. Temptation is everywhere, and it is so hard to say NO! With the sky-high cost of living in NYC, budgeting your money is a must, or else...

I have heard way too many stories of people blowing their rent money in one night at a new posh club opening, or on the latest "it" bag, but what happens when it's time to pay the bills? Where does the money come from? Do they just run back to Mommy and Daddy and beg for the money? You tell me, has this
happened to any of you? Did you surrender into temptation and blow your money on a wild and crazy night, or on material things when it was supposed to pay your cable and electric bill? There has to be a line drawn somewhere and living in NYC requires discipline. Where do you draw the line? Rent...or...Chanel??

4 comments:

istyle team said...

I totally agree with everything you said in this post. The cost of living in New York is so expensive, especially if you are a college student. I go to school and do an internship so I have no time for a job. My parents give me money for food and a metro card but that's about it. I go through money like water and I'm not even spending it that much. However, there have been plenty of times that I have used my grocery money to go shopping :) It's hard to resist the temptation sometimes. It seems that the cost of living just keeps going up in New York and soon who is going to be able to live here? I hope for all of our sakes that there is some solution so that people other than celebrities and socialites can live here.

Jeanette said...

I agree with you and Lizzy as well. It's funny when my friends from other state colleges come here. They tell me all the time 'i can't believe how much money you spend here!'. My rent for one month is more than it costs for my friend to live in his own bedroom in State College, PA for 5 months! Granted, who wants to live in state college, but I'm just saying. It's so hard! Rent vs. Chanel? Chanel always wins...but at some point...it wont :(

miss a-train said...

I constantly find myself in this predicament! It's terrible. I have an internship, go to school and have a job and I wonder daily where the hell my money goes. I would love to know. I find that I'm living out dreams in NYC simply by living here and forwarding my career, yet I never have money to go out or do the things I want to do.

great blog! sooo looking forward to reading it!

sAvVy SPENDER said...

All three of you hit right on the $$$$! I'm glad to hear that others have given into temptation as well. You said it Lizzy, money is like water in this city!! It's true that most of us are fulfilling our dreams just by living here in NYC, but wait a minute...how fun can a dream be if you don't have any money to spend!? That was a good point that you brought up miss a-train. Without the funds, this city can be kind of depressing after a while. NYC needs to take it down a level, so it’s not just limiting itself to the elite socialites and celebrities that seem to be crowding the coveted West Village...It must be Magnolia’s cupcakes! ;-)

I can't believe NYC rent prices could cover 5 months of rent for an apt. in State College...Thanks for the comparison Jeanette! That’s CrAzY!!